Saturday, October 20, 2012



 Shopping for oatmeal and beans at our local Safeway.


 Political rallies today.  Green leaves on the okada for the green party.


Little girl loaded with buckets on her way down to the stream.  Don't know how she's going to get them back.


 Making little rocks out of big rocks is a common occupation.  First you dig it up.  Then you set a fire on top of it with tin on top to hold in the heat.  Then you go to work with a sledge hammer.


 I asked if I could try.  She thought it was funny.


  This lady asked me to take her hammer for a while.  She said I was hitting too hard and breaking the rock too small.  I felt so inadequate.


Raised garden.  Looks like sweet potato.  They eat the leaves as well as the root.


 Puppy pile on a sand pile.


He has a Western Alaska Council patch on his scout uniform.  I asked if he knew where Alaska was.  He didn't.


We ran into Boy Scout Area 9 Troop.  They have girls in the troop.  On a day hike.  The scoutmaster told me how they started Lord Baden Powell's scout program in Sierra Leone in 1964.


African flower.


Another African flower.


Marlene making her first whole wheat bread.  It was delicious.


2 comments:

  1. Marlene you remind me of Grandma so much in this picture. I could see her looking at me, especially biting your lip and the twinkle in your eyes.
    I love reading about your adventures. I would leave and go on a mission right now if I could, so I guess I am living vicariously, so to speak.
    Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I admire you two. Especially since it looks like you are having a wonderful time (rather than complaining). I think a lot of your family is living your adventure vicariously. I tell everyone that I know to look at your blog. It is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete